Library Website: Choose Balboa Middle School.
Destiny Quest Library Catalog Use to find a book you would like to read.
AR Book Finder: Use to find if a book has a quiz
AR/STAR Renaissance Home Connect: Use to view your progress towards your goal on AR quizzes.
Teacher Librarian: Donna Deal
Monday-Thursday 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Friday 8:30 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
Closed at lunch on Fridays
What’s in the Library?
Over 12,000 books
19 computers (Windows)
Netbook Mobile Lab (36 Windows laptops)
Mac Mobile Lab (30 iBook laptops)
Color and black/white printers
• Internet is for school work only. Student Net Use Agreement must be on file and students must follow posted rules.
• Access to 140,000 quizzes published by Renaissance Learning
• AR quizzes can only be taken at school.
Students may take AR quizzes in the library during class periods and after school if computers are available.
• Quizzes can be taken in the computer lab in room 43 during the following times if a volunteer is present:
Thursdays and Fridays at lunch.
Library Books and Textbooks
• Destiny Library Catalog and Library Research Links are available on the Library webpage.
• Students must use their ID cards to check out a book.
• Replacement ID cards are $5.00 and available from the library.
• Students may check out up to 2 books for a period of 2 weeks with one renewal. There is a 9 day grace period. Library fines are 10 cents a day, not counting holidays and days absent.
• Books can only be renewed on the day it is due or the next day.
• Students are responsible for the care of their textbooks. Obligations will be given for textbook abuse. Obligations must be paid in order to receive report cards.
• Please do not use stretchy or adhesive book covers and do not keep liquids in backpacks.
Battle of the Books
Battle of the Books is a fun, voluntary reading incentive program for students. Students read from a list of 20 preselected books and attend Friday book talks in the Library at lunch, September to February. Raffle prizes are given, sometimes popcorn, and book related movies are shown. Students may bring their lunch and share in the fun with fellow students and teachers. At the Battle in the spring, qualifying students from the five middle schools will be placed on randomly selected teams of 4-5. The competition is a round robin tournament with questions from all the books. The two top-scoring teams will be in the final round. All students will receive a Battle t-shirt, lunch, have the opportunity to hear a guest author, and win prizes. The names of the winning team will be engraved on a perpetual trophy. Winning team members and lucky raffle winners receive gift certificates to local bookstores and medals or ribbons. All participants receive goodie bags and participation ribbons.
See Mrs. Deal for more details.